Wearing a mask is really inconvenient, hot, I don’t like it, and I have a medical exemption from wearing a mask in public. However, here are the top 10 reasons I choose wear a mask.
- Because I choose to do my best do be a decent human and to try and do the right thing. My conscience and momma’s teachings to be nice don’t steer me wrong very often.
- Because I am diabetic and battling an ongoing respiratory condition and hope that by helping to protect others, they will help protect me.
- Because I am an educator and want to keep my colleagues and students safe. I want to be a good example to children on being kind; we can do this together.
- Because I do not trust Dr. Google, Dr. Essential Oils, Dr. Meme, Dr. Barely a High School Graduate, Dr. Positive Energy, or Dr. Facebook Reposter to give direction on how to combat a microscopic, novel, very contagious virus. I believe in science and the medical research of those who have spent years studying viruses and how those viruses affect people. Those experts almost unanimously agree that wearing a mask is one of the best ways to slow the spread of the virus.
- Because I want life to go back to “normal.” The only way that is going to happen is to contain this virus. The only thing I can personally do to contain the virus is to follow the guidance of the reputable experts in this field to wear a mask, socially distance, and amp up hygiene efforts.
- Because I made a commitment a long time ago to serve my fellow men, be a good neighbor, and to do unto others as you’d like them to do unto you.
- Because I don’t believe that being a decent human is a political issue or a reason to take sides on an issue that just has one side, humanity. Nor do I believe that being a decent human should be based on a mandate from government or religious leaders.
- Because I am happy to be called a sheep. Sheep follow someone who knows better than they do and someone who wants to keep the whole flock safe. Even though being sheared might be a little uncomfortable when it’s happening, sheep are happy to be free of their fleece and provide a service that helps a population of people to be warm and comfortable for a long time afterward.
- Because even if science and research prove that masks don’t protect others or myself from spreading the virus, I am only out a minor inconvenience for a few months. However, if scientists and experts are correct in determining wearing a mask helps to stop the spread of the virus, I might have actually saved lives. That’s cool.
- And Finally, because wearing mask is way easier than writing an obituary for your brother. Trust me, I did it this week for my 48-year old brother who died of the Covid-19 virus. His death was not a hoax, it was not a political stunt, and he was much more than an a statistic. Although he was the .1% of those who die from this terrible virus, he was 100% a father, husband, son, brother, and friend. His life is 100% worth me trying to do the right thing and be a decent human and wear a mask when I’m in public places.

No comments:
Post a Comment